Friday, January 4, 2013

A Spiritual Journey


If GR had ten stars I would put them all in Lavinia’s crown. Because I love to read, I’ve read some fairly inept as well as amazingly ept books. I’m sure, if I thought about it really hard, I could come up with another that equals Lavinia – but right now I just cannot.

And the only other Le Guin book I treasure is Steering the Craft, a handbook for writers.  Early on, when I was too callow, I decided I didn’t like science fiction or fantasy genres. I just couldn’t keep track of the names of places and planets I suppose so I never was one who knew Le Guin’s major epics. I did read a biography or perhaps it was an autobiography and was respectful of her life.

Is this a review? Here’s an interview from 2008 when the book came out that says it: http://inkwellreview.blogspot.com/2008/06/sing-muse-of-woman-unsung.html. Hope you can read Le Guin’s comments there.

I remember Vergil, from Dante, and vaguely from The Aeneid in high school. But this is the great mature work of an incredible master of the craft who decides in her seventies to re-learn Latin, take all her skills of making a story sing, adds magical effects and leaves us flying like a white owl through the woods enlightened.

Not once do cheap emotional writerly tricks torture the reader. We could smell and taste the daily life of pre-Rome/Etruscans. Le Guin calls it ‘making the story thick.” We know those women, although they lived in a poet’s vision of thirteenth century BCE. We feel the texture of their clothes, the married love, sun light on a real hero’s chest as he holds his baby.

LeGuin’s whole novel springs from one slight  mention: Lavinia, second wife of Aeneus who escaped the physical destruction of Troy.

Do you get it that the authoring awes me? By the concept of the book? By the book itself? It has been respectfully designed and published. It’s a thorough treasure. A strong woman touching us comes across the ages. Highly recommend. Now to read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment